With the passing of Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej, Sodha Travel would like to keep travelers updated on tour interruptions. The country is now in a 30-day state of mourning and we ask visitors to be flexible with any unanticipated itinerary changes. The following is a statement from our Bangkok team:
All public transportation, airports, train stations, and cruise ports remain unaffected with the exception of visits to royal sites such as the Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew. The temples within the vicinity of the Grand Palace will not officially be closed (such as Wat Pho), but we do expect large crowds of locals in the area paying their respects. All of our guides are briefed and can offer alternative programs if required.
We can confirm the following updated information:
- The only site that cannot be visited, as of today’s information, is the Grand Palace in Bangkok. This will definitely be the case until at least end of next week, if not longer.
- Loy Krathong Festivals in Chiang Mai and Sukhothai next month will be cancelled. There’s no official communication so far regarding the Loy Krathong festivities in Bangkok and other parts of the country.
- Entertainment venues such as the Muay Thai Live show at Asiatique and Lumpini Boxing Stadium have announced that they will close their doors up until 17 October.
- The Cultural Show by Sampran Riverside is cancelled for now but they will offer an alternative program for confirmed bookings.
- All hotels and resorts, including all in-house bars and restaurants, are operating as usual. Most of their in-house entertainment and live music has been cancelled during the coming days as a form of respect during the mourning period.
- The Thailand Ministry of Tourism has requested "if possible, visitors should wear somber and respectful clothing when in public." During the mourning period, locals will wear black or darker colors.
- There will be no state or official celebrations in the next 30 days.
Sodha Travel will continue to monitor the situation over the weekend; our team will provide support and alternative solutions where required. With thanks for your understanding, support, and sharing in the nation’s sorrow during these emotional times.