Welcome to Phuket, a popular tourist destination and Thailand's largest island. Once a major trading route between China and India, Phuket is an oasis of tropical gardens, crystal-clear seas, and endless water activities. Many adventurers flock here for the spectacular diving sites, caves, and geographic diversity. Phuket is a destination brimming with culture, community, and entertainment.
Here, in no particular order, are Sodha Travel's top 5 excursions in Phuket:
1. Biking the Phuket Countryside Enjoy a ½ day bike ride through the north east of Phuket Island, an area known for its small, traditional Thai villages. You will also have an opportunity to visit Phuket's Gibbon Rehabilitation Center and see how gibbons are cared for before being released back to the rainforest. Cycle on small country roads and bike off-road through palm, pineapple and rubber tree plantations along dirt tracts. This is a great opportunity to interact with the locals and view the interior landscape of Phuket.
2. Krabi by Speed Boat This tour offers the opportunity to enter a narrow passage leading to a lagoon with mangrove surrounded by the songs of the birds. The afternoon includes a stop at Phra Nang Beach, where the rock formations make spectacular stalactites over the beach and swimmers. (This is also a popular spot for climbers!) Phra Nang Beach is reachable only by boat as it is separated from the mainland by a mountain chain. Visit Chicken Island (a fine white sandy beach) or Poda Island before heading back to the pier.
3. Phi Phi Dive Suitable for all levels: Colossal monoliths rise straight from the sea and tower hundreds of feet over head. The dive includes wall dives, caves and shallow coral gardens - all densely populated with corals and reef fish. Koh Bida features many sea fans and soft corals and is inhabited by large schools of colorful billfish wrasses and lunar tail groupers. This dive is suitable for all levels and operates November - April.
4. Thai Cooking Class The Thai Cooking course starts with an introduction to Thai ingredients and includes a visit to a local market. Courses are suitably arranged to accommodate not only meat lovers but also vegetarians with a substitution of mock meats and fresh vegetables. The lessons have a warm and easy-going atmosphere of Thai hospitality, breathtaking scenery of the mountains and miles of sandy white beach on Siray Island. You will also have the chance to prepare food yourself with great help from professional instructors.
5. Phang Nga Hong by Starlight Enjoy kayaking inside Phang Nga Hong with marine limestone karst islands, macaques, water monitors, kingfishers and Sea Eagles. Self-paddle through tunnels and lagoons. When darkness falls, the stars shine overhead in the circle of black night, fireflies flash in the cliffside jungle and, most of all, the sea glows with phosphorescence. Enjoy a spiritual ceremony with your own made krathong before boarding the escort boat back to the pier. This is a truly magical experience and included in National Geographic World's Top 50 Adventures.
Interested in learning more about these activities or other tours in Thailand? Contact a Sodha Travel Destination Specialist to start planning your enchanting Thailand experience!